Sources such as http://thehamsterhouse.com, and http://www.second-opinion-doc.com state that a hamster wheel should be nearly seven inches for a dwarf size hamster, and at least eight inches for a Syrian Hamster. An exercise wheel is critical to the health of your hamster. It is a must have for their habitat. If after reading this information you realize that your hamster wheel is too small, and it needs to be replaced then check out the list of resources we have compiled below for making your next purchase. (We received no compensation for this listing. Resources were compiled based off of the size requirements stated above.)
The Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel
(Photo compliments of shop: CarolinaStorm on Etsy. Details listed below. This photo and shop information was shared with the permission of the shop owner.)
- etsy.com, Shop Name: CarolinaStorm, they carry custom handmade hamster wheels in a variety of colors and sizes. Size ranges are adequate for dwarf and larger Syrian hamsters. Their wheels accommodate much larger small pets as well. The price ranges are typically $17.99- $24.99. Some even come with attached litter pans for your convenience. The reviews for this seller, and this product are excellent. We love supporting these types of small business owners!
- amazon.com, Love Hamster Wheel in the 8.3-inch style, this wheel is attached to a metal stand and comes in blue or yellow. Current list price is $18.99. Ratings for this wheel on amazon rank this product as having 3.7 out of 5 stars.
- ebay.com, Kaytee Giant 12-inch silent spinner/exercise wheel, currently listing on Ebay for $19.99. Current ratings for this listing on Ebay give this product 4.5 out 5 stars. If you’ve ever looked around Ebay you know that listings are added all the time so it’s possible you may stumble upon this product at a cheaper price point if you search around.
- https://www.chewy.com, Chewy has silent spinners by Kaytee that are available in different sizes. Some of the reviews on these wheels tend to vary from almost 4.5 stars down to 3 stars out of 5. I suggest reading the reviews and deciding for yourself. The cost here is between $9-10 dollars.
- http://www.exoticnutrition.com, has an 8 inch “rodent wheel” in black that is on a stand. They currently have one full 5-star review from a hamster owner. Cost is $16.40.
Please keep in mind that the prices listed above are just for the wheel, and do not include shipping fees. Prices for shipping will vary according to each site’s requirements. You may be able to land free shipping on Ebay, or possibly on Amazon if you’re a Prime customer. Happy hunting!
FYI: Any site we have researched also recommends getting a hamster wheel with a closed back for the safety of your hamster. For your convenience, all the wheels listed above have a closed back!
If you’ve found this article helpful please like and share our post! You may also visit us for additional hamster supplies at www.thehareandhamster.com, and you may like our page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/thehareandhamster/.